The Vladimir's Models AVA Pro
is a wonderfully stable thermal duration (TD) model suitable for near beginners and competition fliers alike, and the simple rudder, elevator, spoiler controls make it supremely easy to fly. Its light weight, prodigious strength, and state of the art design result in unequalled performance.
The AVA Pro
is an improved version of the world renowned AVA. Probably no rudder-elevator-spoiler (RES) glider has a better reputation and a more illustrious contest record than the AVA, so improving this already superb model is no mean feat. However Vladimir has incorporated these very significant upgrades in the AVA Pro:
- The thinner fuselage pod with a carefully engineered wing pylon reduces interference drag. The drooped nose eliminates skidding on landing, improving competition landing scores.
- The AVA Pro wing planform has been optimised to be more elliptical, and the construction of the tip panels improved to utilise a carbon D-box to be stiffer and stronger. The better adherence to the airfoil profile also gives a useful drag reduction.
- The single central spoiler has been replaced by two smaller spoilers, these don't interfere with the flow over the tailplane, reducing the pitch change and making accurate landings child's play.
- The AVA Pro's tailplane has an improved planform and carbon D-box construction, increasing strength and reducing trim drag.
- The new fin has also been changed to use a molded fixed portion, with a lower drag tailboom attachment that incorporates a very clever quick release mechanism, to make the AVA Pro more transportable.
- The fuselage pod has been totally redesigned to use a beautifully executed canopy hatch rather than a sheath nosecone, improving usability on the field.
- The tailboom has been strengthened and stiffened.
- Improved provision for up to 480g of ballast.
- The adjustable tow hook allows the launch to be optimised, giving very high and fast straight launches. The rigid structure and low drag airfoils allow huge zooms, and the low wing loading ensures a very low min sink, and the ability to climb away in the weakest of thermals.
On the construction side, Vladimir has taken the build to a new level of completeness, so the AVA Pro can be assembled in only a few hours. New work done by Vladimir to speed AVA Pro final assembly:
- The wing spoiler horns have been fitted, and the spoiler servo wires threaded into place.
- All pushrods and horns have been fabricated, wires bent, etc.
- Fitting the servos in the pod has been simplified with a custom molded servo mount that is removable for servo and battery fitting and maintenance.
The only work required to compete the model is to glue the boom to the pod, attach the fin quick release clip, optionally fix the ballast tube, and fit the tow hook & RC gear.
For more info see the excellent AVA Pro build log
The AVA Pro is an evolutionary improvement of the AVA, which was itself based on the revolutionary Bubble Dancer designed by Dr Mark Drela. The AVA was an implementation of Mark Drela’s design using the free flight type construction techniques invented in Eastern Europe, and perfected by Vladimir. Like the Simply the Best and Organic ranges the AVA Pro wing has carbon capped ribs and a Kevlar D box. Allied to a substantial Kevlar wrapped carbon spar this results in a very rigid and almost unbreakable structure.
The aerodynamics are outstanding, utilising specially designed airfoils (no doubt in Xfoil, written by Mark Drela himself when he was a student), and a low drag V mounted tail plane, the AVA has a measured sink rate of 0.3m/s (60 ft per minute). The AVA Pro glider can be built down to 41.3oz, however despite the low wing loading the plane can cope with 15mph winds with ease.
Many have asked about the underslung fin. There is no need to worry, in all the years we have been selling the AVA and the AVA Pro not a single person has reported a broken fin or boom.
|AVA Pro Specification|
||1052 sq in
|Typical flying weight
||5.7 oz/sq ft
|Centre of Gravity
||100-108 mm from wing leading edge
|Tow hook location
||448 mm back from the nose
||Elevator, rudder, spoilers x 2
|AVA Pro Typical Weights|
|Elevator & rudder
||MKS DS6100, Futaba S3150, HS85 MG, HS82 MG, Hyperion DS 11-* or DS12-*
||MKS DS6100, HS85 MG, HS82 MG, Hyperion DS11-*